Receive New Job Alerts
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
This Senior Counsel will be the first full-time attorney on the Tonal team and will manage all legal matters for the company in conjunction with outside counsel. Areas of focus will include contracts, data/consumer privacy, product liability, patents, marketing law, compliance, leases, employment, and corporate governance. The successful candidate will be an engaged and resourceful self-starter, comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, and excellent at building strong relationships across our global offices. This role will be located in the company’s new San Francisco headquarters and will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Advise Tonal teams and leadership on all legal matters in partnership with external corporate counsel
- Ability to identify and manage risk and to provide practical, results-oriented legal advice that helps the company achieve its business objectives
- Assess, draft, update, implement and monitor guidelines, standard agreements, platform policies, processes and procedures implicating data privacy considerations
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in laws, regulation and industry trends applicable to fitness tech, digital media and technology, including federal and state data privacy laws, consumer protection laws, and other guidance from relevant agencies
- Assist in management and maintenance of company’s standard contract templates that streamline the contracting process, reduce friction with customer, while mitigating risk for the company
- Working knowledge of scalable a contract database solution, and general working knowledge of finance invoicing systems, and project management softwares
- J.D degree from an accredited law school licensed to practice law in California
- 6+ years of experience practicing law in relevant areas
- High technical proficiency and critical thinking skills to ensure we're thoughtfully challenging ourselves in the design of our internal systems
- A track record in providing pragmatic, business-minded legal counsel cross-functionally to various stakeholder types
- Excellent negotiating skills, keen analytical abilities, a pragmatic approach to problem-solving, as well as a track record of success in handling complex business and legal issues in a fast-paced, agile and evolving technology-driven business environment
- Proven ability to quickly understand complex products and services, while identifying key issues and risks and offering creative solutions for business enablement
- Comfortable with ambiguity and ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace