Receive New Job Alerts
About Holland & Barrett
Holland & Barrett International is one of the world’s leading health and wellness retailers and the largest in Europe, supplying its customers with a wide range of vitamins, minerals, health supplements, specialist foods and natural beauty products. With over 145 years of experience in the industry, our name is a familiar sight in almost every major city and town across the UK and is becoming increasingly more visible further afield, in markets as diverse as the Netherlands and Malta to the UAE, China and India.
At Holland and Barrett we have a strong vision and purpose that encompasses health and wellbeing. We want to be loved and trusted by our colleagues who are at the heart of everything we do. This role is pivotal in ensuring we provide a service to them that lives our EPIC values, focusing on wellbeing and driving the right behaviours throughout the Company. The Employee Relations Manager will be instrumental in shaping a culture that organically embraces those values foremost.
The Employee Relations Manager will be responsible for leading our ER team supporting the delivery of an exceptional HR service across our UK and Ireland organisation. The role will be reporting to the Head of HR Shared Services & HRIS and is a new position created to support the ambitious people and organisational strategy of our business. You will join a critical function at an exciting time as we build our Employee Relations team and service offering.
You will be responsible for managing all aspects of employee relations support for the business, from basic ER advice through to complex tribunals.
This is a time of significant change within the department and organisation; therefore, the Employee Relations Manager will be instrumental in seeking solutions to streamline and make positive change to key processes and service within a fast-paced environment having previously managed an established ER team.
- Managing high volumes of employee relations casework including dispute resolutions and settlements, disciplinaries, grievances, absence, retirement and redundancy.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of UK employment law to include the variances within Ireland and Scottish legislations and regulations.
- Managing complex employee relations caseloads to include ET3 and COT3 preparation, tribunal case preparation and Company representation at tribunal hearings
- Management of TUPE procedure from start to finish (TUPE in and TUPE out) to include all aspect of administration ensuring due diligence is carried out prior to a TUPE transfer to ensure all liabilities are known
- Support and work with the HR team to ensure that the company's HR policies and procedures are always adhered to ensuring all policies and procedures are current and the company is compliant with ACAS Codes of Practice
- Support the ongoing refresh of employment policies and toolkits, including research, consulting with COE teams, drafting, and supporting communications roll out as appropriate.
- Deliver key HR/ER projects with the wider team, including embedding hybrid ways of working, case management process improvement, ER data insights capabilities and ER related training.
- Identify wider areas for process and policy improvement to streamline management of ER matters to improve experience for line managers and employees, avoid future issues and better manage situations going forwards.
- Ad Hoc Project Work
- Cultivate the adoption of our EPIC values within the HR Shared Service Team
- Creating an environment where Colleagues are encouraged to share new ideas, and are supportive of each other's strengths and development needs
- Builds and maintains relationships with key stakeholders including Directors
- Assist the Head of HR Shared Services & HRIS and wider HR function in the management and delivery of appropriate projects that support the continuous development and improvement of the ER department and wider HR Shared Services.
- Coach and mentor team members
- Provide team training on new or changed processes and protocols, bring legislative changes to life and ensure the team is regularly refreshed and updated, and take ownership of their continuous professional development
- Provide a pro-active and high quality service ensuring all Service Level Agreements and KPI's are met, within a service orientated culture.
- Experience of fast-paced, progressive commercial organisations
- CIPD Qualified or equivalent work experience
- Sound experience across other HR disciplines
- Experience of working in a diverse and inclusive environment
- ER experience demonstrated with proven direct complex case management and advisory/coaching support to HR colleagues, line managers and staff.
- Strong up to date Employment Law knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and people management skills
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and deal positively with people in difficult situations
- Demonstrated experience of managing non-complex and complex ER cases from inception to satisfactory conclusion
- Fast and effective relationship builder
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrable experience of grasping issues quickly and delivering effective and efficient solutions
- Ability to quickly develop organisational savvy, political navigation and sensitivity
- Strong team player
- Ability to adopt a ‘customer focus' style to the role, partnering with managers, developing good relationships both within and external to the organisation
- High level of personal credibility and ability to engage with the business and to exercise sound judgement
- Well-organised and able to manage multiple projects/relationships
- Self-starter and able to work autonomously (requiring minimal supervision)
- Demonstrable track record of delivering value-adding HR solutions
- Able to operate and work effectively with MS Office Suite:- Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as standard ER systems of record