BLOK is one of the UK’s leading boutique fitness operators. At BLOK we believe that training is about more than just breaking a sweat. All our classes focus on building skills, improving technique and achieving constant progression. We offer 500 classes a week with over 150 of London's top instructors and specialists. Open 7 days a week from early morning to late at night, we have a large and fast growing team across these sites. We are looking for the best talent to be part of this exciting growth.
We are looking to recruit a diverse team of Head Trainers, who will support the Head of Fitness and Head of Yoga to ensure that the quality of our customer experience remains exceptional as we grow. BLOK classes are about more than breaking a sweat; we seek to inspire, challenge and fuel our customers to unlock their full potential.
Head Trainers will manage their own team of specialist Instructors and support them to deliver excellent, consistent and game-changing teaching across the ever expanding Blok empire.
- Title: Head Trainer
- Department: Movement
- Line manager: Head of Yoga and Pilates OR Head of Fitness
- Direct reports: up to 30 trainers
- Location: All Head Trainers will be required to work across all London sites
- Full time (45 hours/week) with part time options available
- Full time salary: £35k – £45k + EMI share options
Under the line management of the Head of Fitness and Head of Yoga + Pilates, duties include:
- On-boarding new instructors (recruitment through to training)
- Career development/skills training of existing trainers
- Scheduling instructors and managing cover
- Performance and line management of instructors in line with company and individual goals
- Observing and reviewing classes to ensure quality and consistency.
- Communication between their team and all BLOK departments
- Instructing classes ( around 8 - 20 classes per week)
- Instructing workshops
- Weekend and out of hours on call
- Monitoring and maintaining an excellent customer service experience, across our suite of classes
- Contributing to timetabling and class design
- Offering other assistance to Heads of FYP as required
The exact breakdown of these duties will change in line with the needs of the business and will be timetabled by Heads of Fitness, Yoga +Pilates.
- At least 1 year’s experience line managing a team of at least 5 people within a business context (or equivalent transferable experience).
- Gym Instructor or Exercise to Music qualified to Level 3; and/or a BA in Sports Science/Dance/Physio; and/or a minimum of 300 hours YTT.
- Significant experience teaching experience (c 1000 hours), much of which has been spent teaching public group fitness classes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An understanding of what it takes to support and maintain an engaged and high performing team.
- Leadership Skills: we want you to empower, inspire and challenge the BLOK community.
- The Commercial awareness to spot trends and opportunities and to anticipate problems and the pro-activity to take appropriate action.
- Ability to consistently deliver to deadline - even when the going gets tough. A highly organised and consistent approach to task management.
- A passion for excellent class delivery and a commitment to making developing and honing your teaching practice over time.
- Adaptable, resilient, and positive - you don’t just tolerate pressure, you thrive on it.
- Excited to be involved with a fast paced and fast growing company.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Ability to instruct a variety of BLOK class types.
- Experience running budgets in a business context.
- Experience designing and/or delivering trainer training programmes.
- Experience hitting sales targets, KPIs, and CSFs or the equivalent.
- Project management experience.
- Paid holiday of up to 28 DAYS (including all bank holiday entitlements)
- Unlimited access to BLOK classes
- Discounted classes for up to 4 members of family or friends
- A complimentary BLOK Black Card and discounts with our local partners
- Discount on BLOK cafe items and merchandise
- Discount on BLOK workshops