About Second Nature
We’re here to help people take control of their health. By bringing together behavioural science, technology, and incredible people, our grand mission is to eradicate the global epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases once and for all.
Our digital habit change programme – delivered digitally through mobile and web apps – helps people to improve their lifestyle, lose weight, and ultimately reduce their risk for conditions such as type 2 diabetes.
We’re also one of the few consumer health brands that are also actively commissioned by the NHS (for us, it’s to help people living with type 2 diabetes).
We have just closed our Series A fundraising (Dec 2019). We have a team of 85 people, which will continue to expand over the coming years.
Our Key Values
We didn’t start our own business to create a 9-5. We wanted to create an environment where talented people could do their best work and improve people’s lives. These are the values we live by. These - and having dogs in the office - because they always make everything better.
- Focus on impact - We're a small team with limited resources & huge aspirations. That only works if we do the important things. That means each day is an act of prioritisation and most importantly, getting stuff done.
- Do the right thing - We're trying to solve a global problem with no easy solution. We expect everyone that joins us to be onboard with that & understand the context of why we do what we do.
- Keep growing - We believe your only barriers are those that you set yourself. We want people who have a thirst for knowledge and self-development. Those who believe that in the future, they can be better.
- Let data guide you - We are not our customers. It's important to stay humble and make decisions based on the data and information available to us, not our own biases and preconceptions.
- Enjoy the ride - Fast growing companies have a lot of uncertainty and many course corrections. That can be exciting, empowering, but above all, stressful. Recognising this and being comfortable with it is a key part of being successful with us.
Our Story So Far
Chris and Mike met while working as advisors to the NHS. Having seen the impact of lifestyle diseases on both people and health services first-hand, they quit their rock and roll lives as healthcare strategy consultants to start their own health technology company.
Within a year of launching, their solution became the first ever online behavioural change programme to be commissioned by the NHS. They’ve been recognised as one of the Top 50 startups in the EU and both Chris and Mike were featured in Forbes' '30 under 30' list in 2018.